Welcome to Tonic's Rainbow Bridge Memorial Residency
Tonic's Rainbow Bridge Pet Loss Memorial Residency Image
Memories of Tonic
Tonic was an ugly baby! He had a harelip, but oh was he sweet. His namesake had died of cancer, earlier that year. Tonic (Jr.), and his brother Rocks, were left on the doorstep of the vet clinic - a clinic known to rescue cats. I claimed them both as soon as I saw them. He was too little to come home immediately, and we needed to be certain that he was healthy enough to not spread viral diseases to our other cat, Gin. So he grew up a little at the clinic. The ride home was a little rough on the brothers. They barfed and pooped all over each other. Both had to have a bath - what a rude welcome home! Tom was a trooper and bathed them without drowning them. Tonic out grew the harelip, but, within a few weeks, I noticed that Tonic's eyes were cloudy - he was only about 9 weeks old. Quick, to the Ophthalmologist! He's got cataracts! Although he tested negative for feline leukemia (there was no quick test for feline aids at that time), he had viral related cataracts. No matter. He developed awesome reflexes and hearing to compensate and grew up just fine. We lived on a wooded lot and the brothers would not become indoor cats, no matter how hard we tried, and there was not the option of Purrfect fence in those days. So, out they went. Tonic climed trees to nearby roofs. He brought home his share of loving presents - not too many birds, mostly lizards, an occasional field mouse. He was exceptionally sweet. Never an angry growl or swat to any stray that I brought home, until the orange boy in Gainesville. Oh, Tonic did not like him. We didn't know Tonic could make that noise. We found a new home for orange boy, quickly. Tonic grew old with dignity. We discovered that he and his brother had heart murmurs, prior to scheduled dental cleanings. Quick to the Cardiologist! Both boys are (were) large cats, most likely part Maine Coon cats. Both boys have (had) hypertrophic cardiomyopathy - a common finding in Maine Coon cats. We now know that medication does not effect the progression of congestive heart failure or arrhythmias associated with this condition, so I stopped forcing him to take his dreaded heart medicine. He developed a vaccine reaction, twice in his life. Both were surgically removed in time to allow him to live comfortably for more than 10 years without medication, but no more vaccines. He developed severe arthritis, which, thankfully, he accepted the liquid medication as needed to help ease his discomfort, because he would not eat the nutritional supplements or the recommended diets. So, Tonic lived according to his plan, happily, sharing his love with us, for as long as he could. Then, he just fell over, I think. I found him in the doorway of our bedroom, on his side, not a usual sleeping spot, so he must have been on his way somewhere, perhaps to the Rainbow Bridge. We miss his constant purr. His brother misses him, but is coping. Someday, soon most likely, Rocks will join Tonic and the brothers will hunt mice together as in the old days in Charleston and Gainesville.

Please also visit Gin, Molly, Sammy and Scooter.

Photograph Album
(Click on thumbnail to enlarge photo)

Sign Guestbook View Guestbook

Tonic's People Parent(s), Nanette, would appreciate knowing you have visited their Tonic's Memorial Residency.

Click here to Email Nanette a condolence, or to send an E-sympathy pet memorial card click here.